Biotechnology and Research
The Department of Biotechnology and Research of K.V.M. College of Science and Technology (formerly under K.V.M. College of Engineering & IT), Cherthala was established in the year 2005, offers a two year Post Graduate programme, Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Biotechnology. This course is recognized by Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT), Cochin, Kerala state. This programme has been designed in such a way that the students are well trained in advanced techniques in microbiology, molecular biology, genetic engineering, bio- informatics, biochemistry and plant biotechnology. The students can opt for research programmes in national/international laboratories after the completion of this course. They can also find employment in industries, educational institutions, organizations involved in R & D and also in medical, pharmaceutical, agricultural and environmental biotechnology sectors. The department has spacious and well-lit laboratories with all modern facilities. The students are also encouraged to do research and publish their findings in reputed journals. In addition to this they are motivated to do scientific presentations in national and international seminars. The Department is also actively engaged in organizing National and International seminars / conferences and training programmes every year.
• The department focuses in research on modern biotechnology and interdisciplinary science for societal development.
• The department has collaborations with other universities and research and development organizations for research.
• The students are trained to create an interest in research activities by conducting Journal clubs and motivate them to participate in effective discussions and finding solutions to various biological problems.
• The students are encouraged to do research work of their interest and publish the findings in reputed journals.
• The students are encouraged to participate in International/ National seminars and training programs during their course of study.
• Compulsory training in HACCP and Plant Tissue Culture in addition to regular curriculum.